Employment with the South Carolina Highway Patrol offers many fantastic opportunities and challenges. If you are looking for a rewarding, fast paced and exciting career, please read below to find out more about South Carolina’s largest law enforcement agency. All State Troopers undergo intensive training at the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy before beginning their law enforcement careers.
- At least 21 years of age before day one of Basic Training.
- You must be a South Carolina Resident and have been for a minimum of one year from the day you apply. (Former South Carolina residents or current South Carolina residents who are serving in the military or are full time college students out of state are exempt from this requirement)
- You must have had a valid South Carolina Driver’s License for at least one year from the day you apply (Former South Carolina residents or current South Carolina residents who are serving in the military or are full time college students out of state are exempt from this requirement).
- US Citizen
- High School Diploma or GED
- 20/20 vision OR no more than 20/100 corrected to 20/20
- NO CRIMINAL RECORD
- Driving Record should be clear of any suspension for the last 5 years as a result of alcoholic beverage or dangerous drug violation, or leaving the scene of an accident. The overall driving record will be evaluated placing emphasis on the severity, date and age, time span, and number of violations accumulated.
- Must be able to perform all of the essential and
marginal job functions of a SCDPS Law Enforcement Officer.
Employment Selection Process:
- Apply online at link on bottom of this page, (If application meets all requirements you will be mailed a supplemental application and list of requirements via e-mail). The e-mail will have instructions on where to mail back the supplemental application and requirements. Please start gathering the requirements below and have them ready. Once you receive the request for these and the Supplemental Application, having them ready will speed up the process:
- Copy of High School Diploma or GED Certificate
- Certified copy of college transcripts if applicable
- Copy of DD214 if you have served in the military
- Copy of Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate if applicable
- Current full-length (head to toe) photograph
- Certified copy of your driving record(s) (Must cover all states where a license was held over the past 5 years; South Carolina residents, provide a 10 year certified driving record)
Employment Links (Must Read Before You Apply)
- Benefits and Salary
- Employment Disqualifiers
- Credit Standards and PT Test Standards
- Residency Requirements
- Helpful Hiring Hints and Rejection Criteria
The South Carolina Highway Patrol is currently accepting applications for the January 2014 class. Please read ALL instructions on this page carefully and apply at link below.
- Once you have read and agreed to the disqualifiers and residency requirements on the link above, click on link below: jobs.sc.gov
- The link will take you to the Jobs.SC.Gov website, click on “Job Search and Apply Here”, you will need to set up an account with a username and password.
- Once you have the account, do a search for "STATE TROOPER" under Law Enforcement. Once you find the posting, click on the “Apply Here” and submit your application.
- Please fill out all information on application, and ensure you have a valid e-mail address included, all correspondence will be done through e-mail.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply
SCHP Employment &
P.O. Box 1993, 10311 Wilson Blvd.
Blythewood, SC, 29016
South Carolina Department of Public Safety Law Enforcement Recruiting. Copyright © 2013 www.scdps.gov/employment