All BPS Officers undergo 12 weeks of intensive training at the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy before beginning their law enforcement careers.
The Bureau of Protective Services is one of the most technologically advanced and sophisticated law enforcement agencies in the nation. BPS Officers are equipped with some of the latest video, weaponry, and telecommunication systems. BPS Officers use a variety of vehicles, including marked, semi-marked, unmarked, high performance cars, motorcycles and sport utility vehicles.
- At least 21 years of age before day one of Basic Training.
- You must have a valid South Carolina Driver’s License or a valid Driver’s License from your current State.
- US Citizen
- High School Graduate or GED
- 20/20 vision OR no more than 20/100 corrected to 20/20
- NO CRIMINAL RECORD
- Driving record shall be clear of any suspension for the last 5 years as a result of alcoholic beverage or dangerous drug violation, or leaving the scene of an accident. The overall driving record will be evaluated placing emphasis on the severity, date and age, time span, and number of violations accumulated.
- Must be able to perform all of the essential and
marginal job functions of a SCDPS Law Enforcement Officer.
The hiring process from initial contact to completion ranges from two to four months depending on your background investigation, availability of appointments, and scheduled classes.
Application and Administrative Review:
Apply online at employment link towards bottom of this page. Once you have applied online, your application will be administratively reviewed to ensure your suitability for employment. (This process can take four to six weeks)
Submitting your Supplemental Application and Requirements:
After passing the initial administrative review, you will be e-mailed a supplemental application and list of requirements. The e-mail will have instructions on where to mail back the supplemental application and requirements. Please start gathering these requirements now to speed up the process:
- Copy of High School Diploma or GED Certificate
- Certified copy of college transcripts if applicable
- Copy of DD214 if you have served in the military
- Copy of Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate if applicable
- Current full-length (head to toe) photograph
- Copy of your South Carolina driver’s license (if you have held a driver’s license in any other state within the past five years, a certified driving record for that state must also be submitted).
- if you currently possess a Driver’s License from another State, a current certified Driving Record for that State must be submitted.
Please click on the following two links below for helpful hints on filling out the State Application and a sample version of the Supplemental Application:HELPFUL HINTS FOR HIRING PROCESS (PDF file)
SAMPLE SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION (PDF file)
Upon receipt of your supplemental application and requirements you will undergo a 2nd administrative review for: Credit / Criminal / Driving checks. If successful you will be notified via e-mail of your appointment for a PT Test, Written Test, and Orientation.
After successfully passing The Physical Abilities Test (PAT), you will be required to pass a reading comprehension exam. After this exam you will go through an employment orientation at the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy.
After successfully passing the written exam, you will be given a date to report for a polygraph examination.
A thorough background investigation will also begin consisting of criminal checks, school records, military records, driver license records, character references, personal references, interviewing neighbors and current and former employers.
If you successfully pass all above phases you will be given a date to report before an Oral Review Board. The Board will consist of three members from the Bureau of Protective Services. The Board will recommend the top candidates for appointment to the next available BPS Basic Training Class to the Chief of BPS and the Director of the South Carolina Department of Public Safety.
If you are given a contingent offer of employment, you will be required to have a complete medical examination, drug test, eye exam, and Tuberculin skin test. You will also be required to take a written psychological test and will be interviewed by our psychologist. All results will be reviewed by our staff and must meet BPS standards. If you successfully complete all of the above steps in the process, you will be offered employment and given details on when, where, and what to bring to the first day of Basic Training.
- 15 days Annual Leave
- 15 days Sick Leave
- 12 paid Holidays
- State Health Insurance
- State Dental Insurance
- Patrol Cars are issued to those assigned to certain functions.
- All Uniforms and Accessories
- Eligibility for retirement with 25 years of service or at age 55.
We are now accepting applications for continuous posting.
Please follow the instructions below to apply online:
- Click Here: SALARY/DISQUALIFIERS/RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS (Must Read)
- Once you have read and agreed to the disqualifiers and residency requirements on the link above, click on link below: “SC State Government Application for BPS Officer"
- The link will take you to the Jobs.SC.Gov website, click on “Job Search and Apply Here”, you will need to set up an account with a username and password.
- Once you have the account, do a search for "BPS OFFICER" under Law Enforcement. Once you find the posting, click on the “Apply Here” and submit your application.
- Please fill out all information on application, and ensure you have a valid e-mail address included, all correspondence will be done through e-mail.
TO APPLY and begin the process click on the SC State Government Link Below:
SC State Government Application for BPS Officer
If you have additional questions concerning employment opportunities with the Bureau of Protective Services contact the employment office recruiter through email at: BPS Recruiter
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply
Bureau of Protective Services
Employment & Recruiting Unit
1205 Pendleton Street, Suite 106
Columbia, SC 29201
South Carolina Department of Public Safety Law Enforcement Recruiting. Copyright © 2013